CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, June 10, 2007

God's lesson plan: HUMILITY

Something very interesting happened to me at dinner last night so I thought I would share it with you. I had no idea that as we sat around after dinner discussing our "highs and lows" that I would be so overwhelmed with sadness at what I was hearing. Let me give you some background... the GFR staff that is here in Uganda with us is from Rwanda. They have come here to work because the government will not allow GFR to operate in Rwanda at this time. They, including the Pahlows, have all suffered great loss. They feel as though their people are done and will continue to suffer without the help of GFR. While everyone is very excited for what is on the horizon here in Uganda, there is some grieving going on and it is very apparent to me as we sit and discuss how everyone is feeling. See, this is the first time we have all been together, physically, since GFR has had to leave Rwanda. Sadness is on the face of everyone here and I begin to feel it myself because I can see it, the reality of it, with my own eyes. I can barely hold back from sobbing like a child. It was actually to the point of embarrassment, but I knew that something was grieving inside me and this was much more than just my own sorrow. As the women from Rwanda began to comfort me I started to feel like... wait a minute... THEY are the ones suffering the huge loss and here I am crying and they are comforting ME. I felt wrong and selfish. But like I said I could NOT stop crying. I realized in that moment a few things. One, that Love is not only in the giving but it is in the receiving as well. And two, God was humbling me before these people. I am so thankful!!! Because of this experience, I now feel closer to these women, my walls are down and I am free to Love them the way God calls us to Love one another. Humility is an amazing thing!

1 comments:

Stephen said...

I'm glad to see that the journey there was a safe one. It's very exciting to read about the relationships that you have already formed. I'll keep you and your team in my prayers, as well as the ladies from Rwanda, and the children that you met. God bless you